Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Sleepless in the Springs

It is 2 AM and I am sleepless despite a dose of melatonin. I fear in this quest to reach my goal, sleep is going to be my kryptonite. In recent years, sleeping through the night has been a rarity unless I whack myself out with Tylenol PM or Simply Sleep, and even then I tend to wake up at the same dreaded hour, 2 AM. With drugs I fall back asleep, without them, I stare at the ceiling in the dark, my eyes open, my mind churning. 

Melatonin seemed to be a good answer, and the side effects--crazy dreams--have been entertaining. Heck I'll take them. But tonight, er, this morning, even melatonin is failing me. I don't get it. I have done all the things every article on insomnia says to do: vigorous exercise, healthy food, bedtime rituals and schedules, all to no avail. 

So time to make lemonade. I hadn't time to post yesterday, and now I do. The house is quiet. 

I worked lower body yesterday doing lunges up and down the parking lot outside the gym to begin with and then one legged squats, side squats, squats in the smith machine, hamstring curls, calve raises... you name it. Lower body is the day that I feel the sweat trickle down my back like a cardio day. 

And progress is coming. Though imperceptible to the naked eye, and no shift in the scale (138 and holding), my jeans are more comfortable. This is week four of my regimented training. Six days of seven, sugar and white flour is off limits, and protein has become my central focus in meals. One of many lessons I have learned is that I was seriously lacking in protein rich foods before. Can't rebuild muscles without it, and I probably had under 10 grams a day before now. 

All the elements I need for this competition: a great trainer, a good gym, the right diet, and enough time, are skipping along arm-in-arm like Dorothy and her motley crew. But sleep--sleep has taken its ball and gone home. Can't play the game without it. 

I am headed back to bed. Wish me luck. 

2 comments:

Kathie said...

Hope it worked and you passed out eventually. I did a presentation yesterday in Little Rock after a very short night of sleep due to flight delays, and it might have been the better for it :) Hope your day went that way, too.

Now I'm stuck in Denver in snow. May be another short night tonight ;)

Kathleen said...

So I just figured out that there were comments here. Huh, I am in a learning curve--little late, I know.

Hope you are back home now and tucked into a warm house. xoxox.